Recent Letter

Discuss the Church - Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, Messianic - in Israel and in the Palestinian territories.

Moderator: Moderators

Hadassah
Please enter the fourth number in the list (eight): 0

Recent Letter

Post by Hadassah »

Hello All:

I'm feeling brave today. Does anyone have any reaction or comment on the following:

http://www.usccb.org/sdwp/international ... letter.pdf

Be assured that I not trying to draw anyone into a debate against my preconceived position. Honestly and unfortunately, I don't really have a well-formulated position on all aspects and implications of brokering this peace. I am just curious what people are thinking.

I am particularly interested in any thoughts at all on this portion:

"Your commitment to working for the establishment of a viable Palestinian state alongside a secure Israel can help strengthen U.S. security and improve stability and relationships throughout the Middle East. We believe that Jerusalem – home to two peoples and three religions – has the potential to become a powerful symbol of hope and coexistence for people across the region and the world."

In Christ,
Hadassah
Ariel
Site Admin

Post by Ariel »

to me such a letter displays a good intent but is meaningless in the best of cases and even potentially dangerous. Of course everyone wants peace. But its endorsement of a two-state solution completely ignores the fact that Islam will never recognize a Jewish state in the Middle East and that most Islamic factions continue to support violence and the destruction of Israel. It's fine to make "historic compromises necessary for peace" - if there is a real will for peace on both sides. But when faced against an national existential threat, such compromises can easily turn into suicide.

I sure wish the Christian leaders would stop blaming the political situation for the decline of Christians in the Holy Land, and start addressing the fact that local clergy are bogged down in political correctness and either resisting or even betraying the Church's mission to evangelize Jews and Muslims. This is why Messianic Jews are growing, while the traditional Christian denominations are dwindling and disappearing. But nobody seems to notice the elephant in the room.
“God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world” C.S. Lewis
Hadassah

Post by Hadassah »

Ariel wrote:to me such a letter displays a good intent but is meaningless in the best of cases and even potentially dangerous. Of course everyone wants peace. ... This is why Messianic Jews are growing, while the traditional Christian denominations are dwindling and disappearing. But nobody seems to notice the elephant in the room.
I have to say that it is very difficult for someone like me, who comes to this issue from the former perspective of "almost-everything-I-know-I've-heard-from-mainstream-news-media-I-know-it's-going-on-but-it-has-been-for-years-and-probably-always-will-can't-they-all-just-work-that-out" to really get an honest handle on the situation. Everyone's biased to some extent and I find that I look with skepticism at information from all quarters. It's sad, really. Regarding the elephant you describe, that really has to stop!
Athol

Post by Athol »

It alll sounds so reasonable and if it was possible for a Palestinian state to exist alongside an Israeli state I would say give it a go. However that is never going to happen and I don't think it is really part of God's long term plan for the Holy Land. Call me an extremist Zionist possums but compromising with the Palestinians never seems to have got Israel any closer to a peaceful settlement.
Adore Wisdom
K.jerome
Antispam: Eve
Please enter the fourth number in the list (eight): 2

Re: Recent Letter

Post by K.jerome »

Hi Everyone,

I think this Forum-" Catholics for Israel" is meant to speak out and do whatever is possible to help the Holy land but even topic like this goes without debate/discussion for so long a period and I doubt this forum will ever wake up to the call of duty to defend Israel in its hour of need. Well, we have read in the news that the U.S president had mentioned that the solution of two nation will be based on the position in the year 1967. A forum like us should discuss explicitly whether division of Israel based on the position of 1967 or division of Jerusalem is as per the Biblicle teaching. If catholics like you and me refuse to give our opinion on issues like this, in forum like this, we may never be in a position to help Israel either materially or physically. If US and Israel have different opinon and their freindship grow sour and people like us refuse to speak the truth, I am afraid in a very short time we will be allowing Israel to stand alone. I may not be in a position to help physically but in giving opinion and in prayer, I will be with Israel till the end. What about yours-Catholic Ladies and Gentleman in this Forum???????????.

(K.Jerome)
Ariel
Site Admin

Post by Ariel »

hi K.Jerome and thanks for you message. You are right that this forum has become rather inactive. Users are welcome to initiate discussions and have debates, but it all depends on them and on you. Nowadays, most of our interaction is taking place on Facebook and Twitter, but this forum is indeed better suited for longer discussions.

This said, you are right about Obama's problematic stand on the 1967 borders. Thanks for your support and prayers!
“God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world” C.S. Lewis
Athol

Post by Athol »

I certainly am disgusted with Obama ideas for Israel. Jerusalem should certainly remain as the capital.
Adore Wisdom
K.jerome

Post by K.jerome »

Shalom Ariel &Athol,

I think it is very important to spread our Forum to Countries like USA, UK and France. The reason being that two of the most influential advisors to the present US President namely -Vice President Joe Biden and Senator John Kerry are catholics, present UN quartet representative and former Prime Minister of UK Tony Blair is a Catholic and France(which is a permanent UN member) has a Catholic President. They are the people who can help change the world opinion on Israel and by and large rest of the World will follow them. I am from a very remote eastern most part of India from a small Christian State called Nagaland. We are bordering Myanmar and people like me can only shout at the top of our voice -Catholic Catholic Catholic for Israel !!!!!!! and at most give some meaningful financial contribution and yes constant prayer to promote the interest of Israel. The main thrust however has to be from advanced and influential countries. Is there anyone from USA, UK and France listenning ??????????.

May God bless you.

Yours in Christ

(K.Jerome)
Ariel
Site Admin

Post by Ariel »

I think people from the USA, UK and France are listening, but as for the presidents, heads of states and politicians, unfortunately the fact that they are Catholic does not necessarily mean that they have any faith or that their actions and decisions are guided by Catholic principles. Certainly a good prayer point.

Ariel
Athol

Post by Athol »

Yes the only real way to change hearts is through prayer before Jesus in the Blessed Sacramnet. Do more Holy Hours and we will transform the world and hearts.
Adore Wisdom
K.jerome

Post by K.jerome »

Shalom Ariel, Athol and everyone in the forum,
Yes, I fully agree that politicians are unpredictable people and the only answer is through prayer. My family will be praying for the Jewish people.
Meanwhile , yesterday I have heared from CNN, the speech of Hon'ble Prime Minister of Israel in the US congress. He had expalined very clearly to the American audience that Judea and Samaria were ancestral land of the Jewish people and to call Jewish settlement is West Bank and Gaza Strip as encroachment is totally wrong but for peace he will make some concessions. He also said that Jerusalem will remain the undivided capital of Israel. I think on behalf of Catholic for Israel Forum, we may sent a letter or e-mail to the Hon'ble Prime Minister that we appreciate his views. Who knows after reading our letter/e-mail messages, one day he may decide to become a Catholic-a big dream indeed but with God everything is possible. I think it is time for us ( I mean Laitys-not Priest & nuns) to think of setting up a small centre in Israel (may be a small prayer centre/small charity centre/small catholic tourism centre etc) by making some voluntary contributions/donations. It may sound another wild dream but again I feel with God everything is possible.

May Jerusalem remain the Capital of Israel forever and May God bless Israel.
Yours in Christ
(K.Jerome)
Athol

Post by Athol »

Yes it is a wonderful dream. From your mouth to God's ear. Let's agree to pray for it.
Adore Wisdom
K.jerome

Post by K.jerome »

Hello Everyone !!!!
In the last few days sincere attempts were made to revive this very important forum and yes only the moderators were regularly responding-may be not to disappoint someone from remote corner. It could also be that the tone of the messages were too loud and may be our forum prefers a softer message and if agreed yes we can tone down the volume of the message to any low level but I certainly feel that silence among the Catholics in the forum across the world makes me think that Catholics are far far behind the protestants when it comes to issues concerning Israel. In USA, people like Pastor John Hagee goes around telling people openly to do everything possible for the Jewish people and it is clear that we Catholics cannot do even 10% of what protestants are doing for Israel. For good reasons in our Catholics system there are some hierarchy and Fathers/Mothers/Sisters/Bishops/Cardinals cannot come out of the hierarchial system to speak openly on their own on many issues. I am closely associated with Catholic priest (Fathers) especially from Salesian congregation and Priest from my Diocese. Infact even two of my own cousin brothers are Catholic Priest and I know for sure that the job of speaking out openly for the people of Israel has to be from the laitys(layman) like us. After all-hardly 1% of the worlds Christian population takes up religious profession and if we Christian say that we are all part of the body of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, then the remaining 99% (Laitys/layman) cannot simple sit and watch things going the wrong way. Hopefully someday someday someday !!!!! our catholic people in this forum across the world will start speaking openly in support of Israel.

Till then thanks Ariel, thanks Athol - for the encouragement. Let us continue to keep triggering the minds of Catholics in this wonderful Catholic forum for a good purpose with hard messages or soft messages in a manner as pleasant as can be. Have a good day.

In God we trust.

Yours in Christ

(K.Jerome)
Ariel
Site Admin

Post by Ariel »

thanks K.Jerome, yes, let's keep doing our work as well as we can and in trying to spread the word in our own spheres. Blessings,

Ariel

PS: are you following our Facebook and/or Twitter channels? This is where you will find most of our activity these days.