Introducing myself...

Introduce yourself, let us know who you are, and post any general questions or comments.

Moderator: Moderators

Muzhik
Please enter the fourth number in the list (eight): 0

Introducing myself...

Post by Muzhik »

Shalom! I figured before I jump into any disputations, I'd best introduce myself so people have a better idea of where I'm coming from.

I am a cradle Catholic with a two-fold introduction to Judaism. First is when the good Sisters, in my religious education class, went through a time when they were emphasizing the Jewish origins of Christianity. The second occurred about the same time, when one of my Dad's patients gave him a recording of "How To Be A Jewish Mother." This was an adaptation of the book by Dan Greenburg, with Gertrude Berg playing the part of the Jewish Mother. My Dad took these lessons to heart, and it was always a big debate in our family: Did Jewish guilt originate with Judaism, or was it a gift by the Irish to the Jewish people? (I personally believe it was a gift by the Irish to the Jews, who took this basic heavy-handed Irish guilt and turned it into the lovingly hand-crafted Jewish guilt we all know and cringe from today.) :lol:

My interest in Judaism remained in the background for years, but came to the forefront a couple of years ago, due to my research into the violent traditions of Islam. (I was trying to figure out why Christianity and Judaism produce people that everyone recognizes as educated and peaceful saints, but nowhere in Islam could I find anyone like Dr. Martin Luther King who preached and lived lives of non-violence.) This in turn lead me to Christian Zionism and a belief in the Words of G_D to Israel: I will bless those who bless you, and curse those who curse you.

So, Shalom Aleichem to you all!
The problem isn't that we shot ourselves in the foot. The problem is how quickly we reloaded and fired again.
Ariel
Site Admin

welcome Muzhik

Post by Ariel »

shalom Muzhik and welcome to our forum!
Thanks for sharing a bit of your story with us. Can tell us more about what you understand by "Jewish guilt"? Personally I've heard more about "Catholic guilt" though I'm not sure I understand that one any better! lol.
“God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world” C.S. Lewis
Muzhik

Post by Muzhik »

Ariel, Shalom! I look at the difference between Catholic guilt and Jewish guilt this way:

FATHER: Ah, Micahael! Look what you did -- you made your mother cry!
SON: Why is she crying? I don't know what I did!
FATHER: I don't know either, but don't do it again!

See, that Catholic guilt is strong and firm, firm enough to build a house on. Jewish guilt works this way:

JEWISH MOTHER gives DAUGHTER a gift of two scarves. DAUGHTER wears one the next day. JEWISH MOTHER gives a small sniff, looks at DAUGHTER and says: So, you didn't like the other one?

See? Jewish guilt is nuanced, it's subtle, it flows over you like a cold wet blanket. If Catholic guilt is the firm foundation, Jewish guilt is the fancy scrollwork above the porch.

Q: How many Jewish Mothers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: Don't worry about me, I'll just sit here in the dark....

I also heard on the radio once, from a guy that grew up in a mixed Italian/Jewish neighborhood, that when they get angry in Jewish families the mother always says, "So! You want to kill me?" while the Italian mothers always say, "I'm gonna kill somebody!"

<><
The problem isn't that we shot ourselves in the foot. The problem is how quickly we reloaded and fired again.