Wearing Star of David

Introduce yourself, let us know who you are, and post any general questions or comments.

Moderator: Moderators

wild olive branch
Antispam: Eve
Please enter the fourth number in the list (eight): 2

Wearing Star of David

Post by wild olive branch »

Hello everyone! This is my first post here, although I have been reading the forum for some time. I am a Catholic Christian who was raised in an Evangelical home (my father was an ordained minister).
A couple of years back, while in a Christian bookstore, I spotted a beautiful Star of David necklace with the Christian "fish" symbol inset. I purchased it at once, but then felt unsure about wearing it. Although my intentions would be to show solidarity with the Jewish people, and possibly to spark conversation with other Christians as to the Jewish roots of our faith, I was afraid that I might offend the very ones that I was hoping to honor. I decided to wear it and see what happened. Since then, I have been asked about it several times. When a Jewish person notices it, they ask, "Are you Jewish", to which I reply, "No, but as a Christian I am called to love and bless the Jewish people". Their response has been to smile broadly and say "that's beautiful" or something to that effect. The response from other Christians has been to give me a puzzled look, or if they do ask about it, they have nothing to say after I explain why I wear it. (Hopefully it will cause them to do some research into our faith). For me it is a simple, quiet way to show God's love. ----Any comments?
Hadassah
Please enter the fourth number in the list (eight): 0

Re: Wearing Star of David

Post by Hadassah »

Hi "Wild Olive Branch":
*not sure what to call you...

The Star of David is a beautiful symbol and I don't see anything wrong with wearing it with a cross. I am a lifelong Catholic and it would be interesting to hear what Jews think on this topic (I'm sure that is the feedback you want to hear). Something that is a reminder to you of your love and connection to Israel, I would hope, wouldn't be offensive to Jews ~ even those who see Christianity as error. I work for the Church and I have some Jewish symbols in my office (on the bulletin board and elsewhere). I am asked about them from time to time. It is true that Catholics are often puzzled by them, but it is a very good opportunity to talk about things. I also have a picture in my office of an Israeli man whose arm is prominently tatooed with a number (concentration camp of course). I found it in an article I read in an academic journal last summer or so and it moved me to the point that I found myself staring at it. It is a black and white photo from the fifties and the man is holding a gun and defending the Israel border. I have cut out the gun (primarily because many children come through my office) but his arm remains visible. It reminds me daily of the need for penance for the sufferings of Jews throughout history.

Many Blessings,
Hadassah
Hadassah
Please enter the fourth number in the list (eight): 0

Re: Wearing Star of David

Post by Hadassah »

Hello,

I asked a friend of mine who is a very faithful Orthodox Jew ~ and who also has an affinity for and understanding of Christianity ~ what he thought of this. He is fairly sure that many would be offended because they would view it as an inapproriate Christian appropriation of a Jewish symbol. I just share that to give you his thoughts and perspective as a Jew...

Blessings,
Hadassah